About Meow Mews
Why did we start Meow Mews?
As cat owners and lovers and as designers, we were frustrated by the lack of high
quality, durable furniture that could be functional and beautiful and could be kept
visible in our home all the time. We also realized how much money we have spent
on lower quality, disposable products over the years.
As we set our minds on designing a better alternative, we wanted it to provide comfort, a sense of security and safety to our cats, as well as climbing and playing opportunities. We wanted to create a modern tree with a playful interface, that we can re-structure and expand from time to time to improve our cat’s climbing, perching, scratching, and stretching.
Getting inspiration from trees in nature, we created a system of sculptural pieces with modern sensibility and a timeless look.
How would I make sure the wood parts are always connected?
Our furniture is held together by a patent pending joint system that was painstakingly designed to stay securely connected and at the same time be easy to disassemble when needed. The parts are connected when both securing pins are pushed up to a friction point where they cannot be pushed farther through the dowel by manual force.
How does the joint work?
Meow Mews joint was carefully engineered to be held together by the force of friction between the pin and the receiving socket. The joint consists of four concentric vertical parts (top and bottom sections, a barrel connector and a central dowel) that are secured by horizontal tension-creating pins.
How long does it take to assemble Meow Mews Kits?
Assembling our kits takes minutes (up to twenty) and is very intuitive and easy. It is also a lot of fun and can be a great project for the kids and the whole family
How can I know if the kits fit in my home?
Meow Meow Kits start from a footprint of 11.8” x 11.8” / 30 cm x 30 cm (with a single beehive base) to 42” x 42” / 107 x 107 cm of a 3-base kit. Kits’ Height varies from 14.8in / 38 cm to 5'10”/ 180 cm. Before you add any of the expansion kits, make sure that you have enough space to extend by an additional 28” x 28” / 70 cm x 70 of floor area.
How do I know that my cat likes the product?
There are a few ways to determine if your cat likes a certain product:
- Observe their behavior: If your cat is relaxed, playful, and shows interest in a product, it's likely they like it.
- Pay attention to their body language: Cats use their body language to communicate, so if they are rubbing against the product, purring, or kneading it, they may be indicating that they like it.
- Look for signs of disinterest: If your cat avoids the product, shows no interest in it, or tries to leave the area, it's likely they do not like it.
- It's important to note that cats are unique and have their own preferences, so what works for one cat may not work for another.
What if my cat doesn't like its new kit?
Cats can be finicky creatures, and it's possible that your cat may not take to a new piece of furniture right away. However, there are a few things you can try to help your cat adjust:
- Introduce the furniture gradually. If you're adding a new cat tree, for example, start by placing just the base of the tree in the room, and then add more pieces over time.
- Provide positive reinforcement. When your cat shows interest in the new furniture, give them treats or praise. Hiding treats in the kits (platforms, grooves, on top of the ropes etc) will encourage your cat to explore the tree and make itself familiar with it.
- Be patient. It may take some time for your cat to fully adjust to the new piece of furniture, so try not to get discouraged if they don't take to it right away.
- If your cat continues to show disinterest in the new furniture you can return it for a refund. Please review our returns and exchange policy for details.
How do I know the product will fit my cats?
Our kits were designed for and tested with cats of all sizes. For larger cats (Maine Coons or cats over 20lb) we recommend kits with at least two bases.
How do I know when I need to upgrade the kit for my cat(s)?
The rule of thumb is to have one rester, one platform and one pole per cat. You may want to expand your kit to feed your cat's curiosity, offer new challenges or opportunities to relax in style, or if you expand your feline family.
Can I place the unit outside/ outdoors?
Meow Mews furniture is designed to be used indoors, in temperatures of 32-100 (f)/ 0-40(c) degrees. There are various outdoor and weather conditions that can affect the wood performance and cause deformations, as well as the ability of the varnish to provide proper protection to wooden parts. Meow Mews cannot guarantee safety of the kits under an external environment. The warranty is void if the above conditions are not met.
Can the Meow Mews trees be used by other animals (not just cats)?
Yes. While primarily designed for cats, our trees can be used by other small pets. For example, small dogs, rabbits, ferrets, reptiles and some birds may enjoy our trees. We recommend supervising your pet's first interactions with the tree more closely.
What type of wood is used?
Meow Mews furniture is manufactured from sustainably harvested hardwood, such as Beech, Maple, Cherry, Oak and similar. All pieces are made from jointed raw wood for ultimate structural strength and aesthetics.
What kind of maintenance does the furniture need?
Meow Mews furniture is made from high quality natural materials and requires minimal maintenance. You can clean wood surfaces with a damp cloth or wipe, as well as vacuum clean wood, rope and felt parts.
Is Meow Mews furniture safe?
Yes, Meow Mews furniture is safe for cats and humans:
- Wood safety: Our furniture is made from natural wood, untreated with any harmful chemicals and is absolutely safe for cats.
- Structural safety and stability: The furniture is stable and suitable for all cat sizes. For cats weighing more than 20 lbs we recommend the expansion pack, which provides even greater stability. The furniture is not meant for human climbing or sitting and is not meant to be used when not fully assembled.
- Varnish/finishing safety: We use certified pet and human safe varnish to enhance and protect the innate character of the wood and its users.
What type of varnish does the wood have?
We use certified pet and human safe varnish for finishing the wood surface. The varnish is safe for scratching, handling and cleaning.
How long is the warranty?
Our limited warranty extends for five years and covers all wooden parts, and one year for non-wooden parts.
What does the warranty cover?
Our products are made from sustainably harvested hardwood of North American and European forests. Being made from solid wood, they will age like wood does, with some minor imperfections inherent in natural wood. If the wood is not exposed to extreme temperatures or direct and constant sunlight it will last a very long time. If a natural deformation develops in a part that prevents it from functioning as designed within five years of its delivery, contact our customer service and we will replace the faulty component upon authorization.
Shipping and delivery
How long does it take to get the products?
Most Meow Mews products are made to order and will be supplied within four to five (4-5) months from the day of the payment. In case there are kits in inventory, they will be delivered within 3-10 business days, depending on location and shipping method.
What are the canopies made of?
Meow Mews felt canopies are produced by artisans in Nepal, from the sheep wool sourced in Australia and New-Zealand.
Where are the products made?
Our products are currently manufactured in Turkey and Nepal.
How can in contact Meow Mews?
General inquiries: email@example.com
Press and Media inquires: firstname.lastname@example.org
Social Media inquires: email@example.com
Customer support inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Careers and work inquires: email@example.com
Why are solid wood trees by Meow Mews more sustainable for the environment?
Solid wood is a more sustainable option than other materials like plywood, MDF, or plastic due to its renewable nature, durability, non-toxicity, and lower carbon footprint. Solid wood is a renewable resource that can be replenished through responsible forestry practices. Solid wood is also more durable and longer-lasting, reducing the amount of waste that ends up in landfills. It is non-toxic and does not contain harmful chemicals like formaldehyde used in plywood and MDF production. Finally, the manufacturing process for plywood, MDF, cardboard, paper and plastic requires more energy and emits more greenhouse gasses than solid wood production, making solid wood cat furniture a more environmentally sustainable choice.
Why are Meow Mews solid wood products more economical?
While our solid wood premium trees may have higher upfront cost than cheaper alternatives, like plywood, MDF, cardboard or paper, they are more durable and long-lasting, making them less likely to break or wear out quickly and require a replacement. If any part of the kit does wear out, there is no need to replace the whole kit, because all of our kits are completely modular and allow replacement of individual parts and sections. Also our trees will not release any harmful chemicals or allergens, saving your cat's health and associated medical expenses.